Each year undergraduate and graduate student members have the opportunity to present their qualifications to be awarded the Loren B. Bensley, Jr. Gamman of the Year Award. This award recognizes outstanding leadership and service to furthering the goals of Eta Sigma Gamma. Individuals must be nominated for the award by their collegiate chapter’s Eta Sigma Gamma sponsor, the collegiate chapter’s membership or a faculty member who is a member in good standing of Eta Sigma Gamma. Applications are reviewed by the Awards Committee, which names a national Gamman of the Year. This individual receives a cash award and an appropriate certificate at the Annual Meeting. It is not necessarily an annual award and can be presented by the Board of Directors or a collegiate chapter (as determined by the local chapter). An appropriate symbol of this award will be given to the recipient.
- The award is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
- The recipient must be an active student member of Eta Sigma Gamma, currently enrolled in an institution of higher education.
- The use of the scholarship award funding is unrestricted.
- Only one member of each chapter may apply for this award. Applicants must be nominated for the award by the collegiate chapter’s Eta Sigma Gamma sponsor, the collegiate chapter’s membership or a faculty member who is a member in good standing of Eta Sigma Gamma.
- The scholarship award will be made without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental handicap or age.
The award amount is $750.00. The amount may increase or decrease depending on available funds.
The applicant must complete the Gamman of the Year Award application found at the bottom of this page. Applications and supporting documents must be submitted on or before the deadline, October 15.
Along with their applications, applicants must submit the following documents:
- A letter of nomination from the local Eta Sigma Gamma chapter sponsor, the chapter membership, or faculty member who is a member of Eta Sigma Gamma.
- A cover letter indicating their interest in and qualifications for the Gamman of the Year Award in no more than 750 words that outlines their leadership and service to furthering the goals of Eta Sigma Gamma, as well as professional goals and how they hope to contribute to the field of health education.
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation (in addition to their letter of nomination) supporting their application.
Award recipients will be chosen by the Awards Committee. The committee will ensure that the recipient meets all the criteria and will consider the following:
- Leadership to Eta Sigma Gamma.
- Service to support the goals of Eta Sigma Gamma.
- Involvment in health education activities, as demonstrated through leadership and participation in Eta Sigma Gamma and other opportunities for involvment in health education.
- Demonstrated potential to make a contribution to the field of health education.
Notice of recipient will be made via email to the winner and announced at the annual national meeting of Eta Sigma Gamma.