The Journal invites manuscript submissions on a wide variety of topics related to the Honorary’s mission of furthering excellence in teaching, research, and service in the health education discipline. Research, literature review, commentary, practical application, and teaching ideas are appropriate manuscript categories. Other types of articles may also be acceptable based upon coherence, relevance, timeliness, and available space. With the exception of special solicited manuscripts, reports, and presentations, publication requires that at least one author of a manuscript be a current (dues paid) member of Eta Sigma Gamma.
Health Education in Practice articles should present practical applications of health education practice or creative and innovative teaching ideas. Such articles may be for any setting or age group.
Manuscript submissions are accepted at any time. Those received by June 1 of a year can be considered for publication for the Fall issue, while those received by December 1 can be considered for the Spring issue.
- At least one author of submitted manuscripts must be a current member of Eta Sigma Gamma. If no longer affiliated with a local chapter, an author can affiliate with the National Chapter as a member-at-large.
- Manuscripts are submitted electronically in Microsoft Word. Contact the Editor for specific software program questions.
- Submit one electronic file (without author information) that includes the title, abstract, manuscript, references, and tables and/or figures in a single file. When feasible, tables should be submitted in portrait format and they should follow the references on separate pages rather than be embedded in the manuscript. Tables must be limited to no more than five.
- Submit a second file with title; all authors’ names, degrees, professional titles, addresses, email, FAX numbers, and ESG Chapter membership; indicate the corresponding author.
- Include an abstract of not more than 200 words.
- Submit double spaced manuscripts in Times New Roman 12 point font. Research submissions and Literature Reviews may be up to 4500 words (not including abstracts, tables and references). Limit Research article references to 30 reference and Literature Reviews to 40. Teaching Ideas and Health Education in Practice Submissions should be limited to 2300 words with 10 or fewer references.
- Follow the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition). Manuscripts will not be accepted if APA style is not used. Please refer to http://www.APAStyle.org for links to examples for citing Internet references.
- The author is responsible for accuracy of the manuscript, including references, diagrams, figures, charts, and tables.
- With each submission, please include a signed statement attesting that:
- The manuscript is not being considered for publication elsewhere at this time and has not been previously accepted or published elsewhere.
- The author(s) transfer copyright ownership to The Health Educator upon publication.
- Submit manuscripts to:
Cleveland State University
Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance
2121 Euclid Ave. JH 164
Cleveland, OH 44115
- The Health Educator cannot consider any manuscript simultaneously considered for publication elsewhere.
- Acknowledgement of receipt of manuscripts will occur promptly. Notification of acceptance or rejection for publication takes place in approximately six weeks.
- Publication in The Health Educator is a contribution to the profession and no remuneration is made. Authors receive two complimentary copies of the issue in which their manuscript appears.
- Informed consent must be obtained in all research involving human subjects. All manuscripts reporting results of research involving human subjects should indicate informed consent was obtained via the appropriate Institutional Review Board approval process.
- Authors are required to disclose funding sources and any potential financial conflicts of interest. Funding sources may be acknowledged at the end of the manuscript.