11 Nov Chapter Spotlight
Alpha Lambda Chapter, University of Florida
Who we are:
We have 8 executive board members, 2 faculty sponsors, and a project coordinator. The chapter averages 55 active members and this past year initiated 23 members into the local chapter, 16 of which were also inducted into National Eta Sigma Gamma. Last year, members accumulated over 2,500 hours towards training and events focused on professional development, service, education and advocacy!
The Alpha Lambda chapter has defined 4 goals and several objectives for service, education, teaching and advocacy for the 2016-2017 academic year. They are focusing on a quality versus quantity approach in order to maximize the professional benefits and transferable skills of the members.
- Bike Rehab: Provide bike safety education and helmet fittings to 40-50 children from low socio-economic neighborhoods
- Morning Mile: Program designed to promote physical activity before regular school hours begin.
- Relay for Life 2017: Raise awareness and funds for cancer and help the individuals/communities fight against cancer
- Sex in the Swamp 2017: Educate college student sexual health and risk behaviors to avoid during spring break.
- National Health Education Week 2016 (SOPHE) “Partnerships in Community Health”: Host events and speakers related to the topic for each day of the week.
- Great American Smokeout 2016: Sponsored by the ACS— members will educate people smoking on/near campus about tobacco cessation and provide local resources.
- Perceptions of Hazing Among Sport Club Athletes
- Take Back the Night 2017: Sexual assault awareness rally on UF campus
- Lobby project: Host a two-day advocacy workshop and present issues to the capital, Tallahassee
- World AID’s Day 2016: Promote free testing services and the importance of barrier methods
- Certification Trainings: HIV/AIDS testing, IRB
- HEB Community and Behavioral Science Seminars: College sponsored seminars on current research in health education and behavior change
- Guest Speakers: A networking opportunity for members to ask questions related to careers in health education, health science and public health, and resume/ CV expertise.