Each year graduate student members have the opportunity to present their qualifications to be awarded the McGovern Scholarship. Applications are reviewed by the Awards Committee, which names a deserving recipient. This individual receives a cash award and an appropriate certificate at the Annual Meeting.
- The McGovern Scholarship is open to graduate students only.
- The recipient must be an active member of Eta Sigma Gamma.
- The recipient must be currently enrolled as a student in an institution of higher education at the graduate level. Consideration may be given to an applicant that has applied for and been accepted to a graduate program at an institution of higher education.
- Must have at least one semester (quarter) of academic work remaining to complete his/her degree.
- The use of the scholarship award funding is unrestricted.
- The scholarship award will be made without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental handicap, or age.
The initial award will be $750.00. The amount may increase or decrease depending on available funds.
The applicant must complete the Application for the McGovern Scholarship Award_Form. Applications and supporting documents must be saved as a pdf and submitted electronically by email on or before the deadline (October 1) to RkrphgvirQverpgbeemail@example.com .
Along with their application, applicants must forward the following documents (also as pdf):
- A cover letter indicating their interest in and qualifications for the McGovern Award in no more than 500 words describing their professional goals and how they hope to contribute to the field of health education.
- A copy of their official transcript from the undergraduate institution in which they recevied their undergraduate degree and a copy of their official graduate transcript.
- Three letters of recommendation supporting their application. One of the three lettters must be written by an academic mentor in health education.
- All pdf documents should be saved as the applicant’s last name, the award they are applying for, and indicate the type of document (i.e. Applicant’s Last Name -McGovern Scholarship Cover Letter.pdf). It is preferred the entire application is sent as one pdf, but this is not required.
- Award recipients will be chosen by the Awards Committee. The committee will ensure that the recipient meets all the criteria and will consider the following:
- Academic excellence
- Involvement in health education activities, as demonstrated through participation in Eta Sigma Gamma and other opportunities for involvement in health education.
- Demonstrated potential to make a contribution to the field of health education.
Notice of recipient will be made via a written letter to the winner and announced at the annual national meeting of Eta Sigma Gamma.